Wednesday, October 25, 2017

SMC'17 experiences and... LOOT!

Hello fellow painters, builders, and other hobbyists,

In this article, I wanted to share my experiences at the Scale Model Challenge 2017. I could only attend one day so I didn't enter into the competition. I arrived around 10AM when the convention just opened its doors, but it was already very crowded with people! There were 138 exhibitors divided over 122 stands and 575 people from 40 different countries participating in the contest with 1987 entries!


I quickly entered the contest area to get a peek of what people had entered but there were already so many people there that I only managed to get a couple of photos. (you can see them in my experimental slideshow, frames 2 and 29 are my favorite!)



It was a lot of fun to meet some of my old friends and to create new ones. I also met up with some people that I know from facebook but who I have never had the pleasure to meet in person.

At the stand of Mr. Lee's mini's, where I spent a lot of my time, I found my friends Dennis, Kyle, and Kris. I also met Fancagne, Drew, and Norm. I recently won a model from Kaha miniatures, Fancagne's model company that I could pick up at their stand. This is where I picked up my first piece of SMC loot... the Megaprimatipus Kong!

Kong! Based on the recent movie.

My friend Dennis from Savageforged Mini's also had a 75mm model that I wanted! C-48 Roy is a post-apoc styled android or cyborg. I love cyberpunk almost as much as I love orcs, so this was a must-have for me!


Also at this stand, there was a demo area where renowned painters like Roman Lappat, Roman Gruba and Drew Palies demonstrated their painting techniques and skills. I attended to Roman's demonstration on how to paint eyes and skin on a 1/10 ogre bust. For me, it was very interesting to see his method of painting. I will be using what I've seen on future projects for sure!

Me watching Roman explain how to paint eyes
My friend Kris from Broken Toad also had a lot of goodness for sale. Next to his awesome brushes he also brought his busts to the scale model challenge. I've had his "Rage" bust on my radar for a while, but only now learned that it represents a character from the world of Guildball.

"Rage" by Broken Toad, a Guildball character
Finally, I brought some of my busts to find them a good plinth. I've heard many people speaking very positively about Dino Pivato's plinths. Now I must say that I do find them a little pricey at between €15 and €20 per plinth, but they do look very nice and Dino does try his best to find the perfect match for your project.



That pretty much sums up my day with all my experiences at the Scale Model Challenge. I hope you enjoyed reading this little article.

QUESTION:
What do you think about the slideshows? Do you like them? Do you have any suggestions on how to improve them? Please leave your answers in the comments!

Thank you for reading and I will see you next time!




No comments:

Post a Comment